Melanie loves the outdoors, especially the mountains, so in the winter she always tries to make time to ski and in the summer to walk and climb. As well as the UK and Europe, she has trekked in Nepal and Peru, and climbed in the Himalayas, South America and Africa. She also enjoys scuba diving and sailing, though does have a tendency to get seasick!
On a more regular basis at home she enjoys running, yoga and countryside walks. She plays the guitar, loves dancing and never seems to find enough time to read everything she wants. She speaks fairly fluent French, basic Spanish and a bit of Norwegian.
RYA Competent Crew (sailing)
OPAL French Proficiency
– Institute of Physics – member of the Plasma Physics Group, Science Communicators group and Women in Physics group
– Director of Strategic Operations of the Fusion Industry Association
– Vice President of the Alpine Club 2019/2020.
– Founder ambassador of the Your Life campaign and a STEM ambassador
– Trustee of Edirisa UK, set up in 2005, which supports communities and education in Uganda
If you are a student wondering how I got into physics and the work that I do, read the Week in the Working World blog I wrote for Alcester Grammar School’s Life magazine. I don’t have a normal week, so it’s more a story of how I came to be doing what I do.
THINGS WE LOVE:
skiing ⋄ mountains ⋄ science ⋄ green ⋄ classical literature ⋄ sunny mornings ⋄ dancing ⋄ apples ⋄ singing ⋄ tea ⋄ space